Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Qualifying Competition

Sunday 10th August 2008....The day that we would all officially become Olympians and join a club that includes very little members. The day that we would not only represent ourselves but more importantly, our country!...What was the result of these thoughts running through my mind?...A pair of shaky legs and a whole lot of butterflies flying around in my stomach!

Our comp was in the early afternoon so we had the morning to do a light training session and rest our bodies and minds...Well, resting my body was easy, but calming my mind was impossible with the amount of nerves I was feeling!

The time flew by and before I knew it warm up was over and we were ready to go! Marching out into the arena was such a huge highlight! Thousands of spectators cheering and clapping...and then there was my family! My plan was not to pay attention to them. But when they are there in fluro yellow and green Afro wigs, amongst a plain t-shirted crowd screaming "Go Olivia"...it's hard not to notice!

Bars (my only apparatus) was third so it was my job to get my team mates through floor and vault! Things went great and my turn up on bars approached. Strangely enough I wasn't really nervous. I had a good warm up and I felt good. I remember presenting to the judges and sticking my dismount. Everything in between was a blur! But the feeling I got when I landed my dismount was unforgettable! 11 years of training for 30 seconds on the bar....was it worth it....HELL YES!!!!

We had a shaky beam rotation but we finished 5th. And knowing that there was only two teams left to compete and top 8 make team finals, we knew we had made team finals!

No comments: